Thursday, September 4, 2008

JD Shirt: Not Meant For Tucking


OK, here's hoping this photo remains a mystery for more than 5 minutes.

What will forever remain a mystery, however, is why the dude in the middle, who is clearly the singer, decided to tuck that Jack Daniels shirt nice and snug into his high-waisted, slashed-up Levi's. And what's with the sport jacket with the rolled-up sleeves? The other sad-sacks (guess the photog didn't tell them to say "cheese") he's surrounded by at least had the good sense to sport some dead animal hide.

Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say these boys are from the South and they probably were one of the many Maiden/Priest imitators of the day.

Update: So, yeah, I was waaaaaaay off with this one. "GJ," however, was not fooled at all. This is Swedish doom band Sorcerer. And according to BNR Metal Pages: "Sorcerer played classic Euro doom, in the style of early Candlemass." I got this photo with the demo they sent me in ’89. I'm pretty sure I recorded over that demo. Not sure if I ever even listened to it. But, c'mon, one look at that picture...

7 comments:

Invisible Oranges said...

Smiling is not metal!

Ian Christe said...

Really? Southern? Priest/Maiden?

Because I'm getting a pretty strong New England "thrash with class" vibe here.

AT said...

Something says "power" and/or "prog" to me. They just don't look badass enough for thrash (even "thrash with class"). That said, timing-wise, there's a good chance you're correct. I'm guessing this was taken circa '86 or '87.

roxymuzak said...

Yeah, nothing about a tucked-in shirt says "Southern" to me.

gj said...

These guys has to be swedish - they really have that generic swedish metal look. The singer looks familiar. Sorcerer?

AT said...

Dude! Nice work! Wow. I'm impressed. It is Sorcerer. I looked them up at The Metal Archives and saw the demo that they sent me back in '89. And you can even recognize them from the photo there, too.

GJ said...

Well, I have both their demos but have never seen an actual photo of the band. Their singer later was in Lions Share, which I saw opening for Dee Snider a few years back. And, yes, I am swedish too...