Sunday, September 28, 2008

Simon Says: Cross Your Arms if You're Troo


All right, since we seem to have some seriously knowledgeable people checking into this site now and we're starting to get rolling, I figured I'd throw another new one up.

I have an inkling I know who this is, but I'm not positive. The thing that cracks me up most about this one is that it looks like it was taken at a renaissance fair or something (see the woman in the background on the far left). Which would be OK if the band was dressed appropriately. But, no, these guys look like they were on their way to 7-11 for some beef jerky and a half-rack, saw the ren fair and thought, “Whoa, wouldn't it be cool to get our picture taken with, like, a medieval village behind us?"

Not so much.

Update: Crap! I gotta start putting some harder ones up. This was barely online for two hours before "anonymous" confirmed it as Griffin (as I had suspected). They were a power metal band from SF who recorded an album for Shrapnel ('84) and one for Steamhammer ('86). I have both, but I seem to recall the Shrapnel effort being the better of the two.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is GRIFFIN!

AT said...

Yep, that's correct. Nice one.

Helm said...

Such a humble anonymous!

Yeah I think the first Griffin album is better than the second one. Wonderful picture. There's just something about seeing bygone HM band photos because their expressions aren't tainted by the modern knowledge of what an... economical dead-end their genre of music would turn out to be eventually, so there's still hope and a bright aspiration painted across their faces. They're not dressed like that and playing music like that because it's cool to some secluded niche subculture, they hoped to make a honest living and a proud life out of their HM skill. Ah, shame.

It's even more inspiring when you see that sort of face on a 00's HM band, but that's considerably more rare. "I love my HM and I know I will never get anywhere with it :D"

Keir said...

Ah yes, the Griffin shirt on the guy to the left is a dead giveaway. Good work Mr. A. Nonymous.

Looking forward to the next mystery band. BTW, thanks for adding a link to my blog!

AT said...

Ya know, I looked at that guy's shirt and couldn't figure out what it was. But, yeah, I guess if it is a Griffin shirt that would be a dead giveaway. Probably no other bands were wearing Griffin shirts back then...

No problem on the link. I like your blog.

We're gonna burn through these mystery photos in no time. I'm actually going to end up posting a half dozen or so that I know who they are, but that are fairly obscure. Just to see how good you all are.

Invisible Oranges said...

I love this picture. Each guy looks like a character stereotype from '80s action movies.

ROXYMUZAK said...

I think the guy on the left here looks completely awesome.