Thursday, October 30, 2008

Glam + Moustaches = Unintended Hilarity


This one's a real gem. Ignoring for a moment just how goofy the dudes in the band look, let's focus in on the fact that this black & white photo has been touched up (waaaaaay before there was Photoshop, etc.) with some carefully placed red (clothes, guitar, lips!) and yellow (hair) highlights. And I really don't know why they did this. They should have either a) just gone with a standard B&W shot, b) gone with a color shot, or c) taken advantage of the fact that they could alter a B&W photo however they pleased and given the blond dudes really outrageously colored hair (I'm thinking parrot green, or maybe sky blue) and Fanta-orange lips.

I mean, talk about a missed opportunity.

And, yeah, I know who this band is. Suffice to say, they didn't make much of a mark in the metal world, but this photo deserves to live on in infamy, if only for its vaguely Village People vibe. Anyone else have a guess as to who it is?

Update: Here's a holiday gift for you. "Andreas78" finally figured out that this is German band Black Diamond. (Strange how many of these are German bands, no?) They put out an EP called "Faces" in 1985 on a small indie label, which curiously featured a cover that may further my Village People suggestion (see below). I also have no idea why this record was called "Faces." Anyway, two of the members of Black Diamond did go on to form Dorian Gray, who are still together and putting out records.




.

15 comments:

roxymuzak said...

I think they look pretty cool, actually (albeit on a receding gradient from left to right).

AT said...

Seriously? The three dudes on the right are dorky enough to distract from any semblance of cool the other two might possess.

Invisible Oranges said...

No clue who the band is, but I actually like the artsy color retouching.

Anonymous said...

It's Accept...right?

Helm said...

No idea who they are but I also like the color. Guitarist insisted on wood brown finish for his guitar.

AT said...

All right, I'm banning you all from my site for not agreeing with me. Kidding, of course. If I banned the three people that visit here, it would be a lonely place indeed. But, seriously, doesn't anyone find this photo even slightly hilarious? Is it just me???

Helm said...

I have a high tolerance for this sort of thing, I always feel sympathy for oldschool bands trying to get an image going for a 10$ photoshoot. So I'm not one to ask.

Keir said...

I can't believe I never commented on this one. I have to say, the yellow highlights I can do without but I actually like the red. And except for the short-hair in the middle (who seems to be trying a bit to hard) these guys rock my world. Also, I like how with all their elaborate outfits, they're still wearing dirty sneakers.

As for who they are, I don't know. I'm thinking a German Scratch/Gama band. Am I close?

AT said...

My friend, you are very close. Everything about these guys screams "I AM GERMAN!" This is a very tough one, as I don't think more than five people in the world ever knew about this band. (I'm exaggerating, obviously, but they are really obscure.)

andreas78 said...

Maybe it's Xxaron or overdrive.But I wll go with Xxaron

AT said...

Nope, still not correct. But nice guess. I've never heard of Xxaron, but after looking them up at the Metal Archives, they do look very similar to this band.

andreas78 said...

Maybe Carrie?Or Ghandi?

AT said...

Nope and nope. But I appreciate your enthusiasm. Seems like everyone else gave up on this one.

andreas78 said...

Thanks for your kind words.it's Black Diamond,right?

AT said...

Ja! It's Black Diamond.