Thursday, November 27, 2008

"Do You Smell Something Burning?"

Here's a band with the complete package. They've got the looks, the clothes, the attitude, the hair and even the right poses. All the photographer needed to do was to crank the smoke machine to 11 and let them work their magic. If we get nothing else from this fine photo, it should at least stand as a shining example of what a decent (i.e. not laughably goofy) promo photo should look like.

Unfortunately, these dudes weren't able to make it on looks alone. And this is why their photo ended up on my blog. OK, yeah, a couple of the bands whose pics I've thrown up here did sell an album or two, but most just contributed a track to a comp or issued a self-released EP. Their 15 minutes was fleeting.

I do know who these guys are and though they pretty much went nowhere back in the '80s, they are back together today. Which begs the question: why? Maybe they just felt that if these guys or these guys did it, they could too. Twenty years from now I'll be posting a photo of 5 fortysomething dudes asking if anyone remembers their equally obscure reunion.

Update: Once again Ian Christe comes through with the correct answer, the Bay Area's very own Ruffians. Their closest brush with "fame" was having vocalist Carl Albert (pictured above, and sadly now deceased) go on to front Vicious Rumors. And as I mentioned above, Ruffians have reunited and are still playing in the Bay Area.

7 comments:

Helm said...

Dunno who these people are but Sacred Blade are amazing and worthy of the highest praise for their visionary metal.

roxymuzak said...

These guys are like an Edward Burne-Jones painting, every face is identical. Are they brothers?

AT said...

Nope, they are unrelated. They just had a good stylist.

Ian Christe said...

RUFFIANS

Man, my free ice cream cone is going to be totally awesome!

AT said...

Correct! Not that I'm keeping track, but you are clearly the champ here at Test Your Metal. Thanks for playing. Come again.

Helm said...

I should have recognised Carl Albert! My word verification is even diswoe! Apt!

AT said...

I think you were so annoyed by my reference to Sacred Blade (who, don't get me wrong, I like) that you were distracted. Better luck next time. We still have several posts that no one has gotten. Any ideas?