Friday, November 7, 2008

Dudes Look Like (Ugly) Ladies

This photo must have been taken around the time of glam/hair metal's peak, when the more the dudes in the band looked like chicks, the more popular they were. And even if the band wasn't popular, they could, for a brief time at least, get away with looking completely androgynous. It was a relatively short window of time, though, and inevitably bands had to outdo each other, leading to these kinds of shenanigans. (Thank god grunge eventually put a stop to the escalating ridiculousness.)

An interesting side note about these gals is that they had the same exact band name as a much more influential (though not necessarily popular or well-known) band from the early '80s. As far as I know, there was never a dispute over the name.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no shame in actually knowing what band this is, but if you'd prefer to post a reply anonymously, that's cool with me. I understand.

Update: Well, I was starting to think that I had stumped everyone with the last few posts, but Keir correctly guessed that this is indeed Sweet Savage from Dallas, Texas. For a good laugh, I'd suggest checking out the ridiculously longwinded bio on their MySpace page. By their own account they were "this close" to being megastars. If only...

6 comments:

Helm said...

Slaughter the not from Canada?

AT said...

Nope. But good guess all the same. According to some info I read about them, these guys apparently turned down a record deal from Enigma Records, who then offered the same deal to (and signed) Poison.

Helm said...

I really don't know glam at all, the two Slaughters are an oddity that stuck to mind because one was poofy and the other slayed for satan, so I can't really offer another guess!

btw the word verification for this post was 'slogi'. Like the male underwear? Excellent.

Invisible Oranges said...

They remind me of a fatter Nelson (the band, not the bully).

Keir said...

I always thought it funny how so many American glam bands had heavier European counterparts: Warrant, Poison...

Sweet Savage

:D

AT said...

Yep, I dunno how they got away with using that name, but this is indeed Sweet Savage from Texas. Good job, Keir.