Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Make us look cool or we won't help you out of that deep hole!"


I know, kind of a lame title for this post, but some days you have it and some days you don't. There a number of things I find comical about this photo, not the least of which is the perspective it was taken from--shot to accentuate the crotches of the band's tight-fitting jeans. Nice.

And then there's the Franknstein monster on the right who looks like he borrowed his granny's rabbit fur coat for the shoot. I mean, WTF is that?!? I may have to get an official ruling on this, but I'm pretty sure that is not metal. At all.

My final concern has to do with the odd, washed-out nature of the contrast on this--I think--B&W photo. Did they mean to make it look vaguely pink (or whatever)? And, if so, why? To obscure the fact that they were a raggedy bunch of heshers (do I see a mustache?) who had to discover the hard way that even playing in a band wasn't gonna get them any action from the ladies? Who knows.

More importantly, does anyone know who this band is?

UPDATE: My apologies to Boleslaw for getting to this update a little slowly, but you know it's the holidays and all. Anyway, congrats for FINALLY figuring out that this is Florida band Atomic Opera. I'm a little surprised it took so long since Ian Christe did a small post about the band a few years ago (which is here). Atomic Opera were contemporaries of Savatage, Siren, Nasty Savage and other mid-’80s FLA metal bands, though obviously they were all from different cities/scenes. Ian had AO's two-song demo posted at his site, but I don't know if that link is good anymore. Maybe if you ask nicely, he'll repost.

22 comments:

Invisible Oranges said...

No clue on who the band is. But that fur monstrosity is very metal - glam metal. Right at home on Poison or maybe Cinderella.

AT said...

While I respect your authority in this matter, I may need some photographic evidence of a glam band rockin' a fur coat for me to fully accept that this is even marginally OK.

roxymuzak said...

Again, it's a coolness gradient, starting low but decreasing from left to right.

andreas78 said...

I don;t think it has anything to do with poser bands.I think they play doom metal with nwobhm elements

Victhor The Viking said...

Grim Reaper?

Keir said...

Hmmmm... Palass from Belgium?

AT said...

@Vichthor, not Grim Reaper. They were a 4-piece. These guys were waaaay more obscure.

@Keir, not Palass either.

Keep trying!

jojo said...

Is it Marshall Law?

AT said...

Nope, not Marshall Law. But please keep trying!

jojo said...

Is it Fist?

jojo said...

No wait is it Talan?

AT said...

@JoJo Nope and nope. Both incorrect. But I appreciate your persistence. I'm a little surprised at how hard this one has been.

Anonymous said...

Something so oddly fugly about these chaps that makes me think them Newcastle or North East spawned: like Venom, only more of them. Early Anglewitch or Witchfinder General promo shot?

AT said...

They are super fugly, but it's neither of the bands you guessed. Keep trying.

dave said...

Sword. As in "metalized"

AT said...

Hah! Good guess, Dave, but you are incorrect.

Anonymous said...

They have that certain look that denotes bands with single word names, and little imagination: 'Destroyer', or 'Druid' (not sure if 'Druid' were in fact a band - if not, I'll pinch it for myself). Know I'm wrong already, but a teeny clue would be good; perhaps country of origin to narrow it down a bit?

Anonymous said...

Looks like Trouble if they were from England.

Boleslaw said...

Regarding "make us look cool...": recently I came across a band called Atomic Opera (look up on The Metal Archives). Their outfit was strikingly similar to the one of the fellows on the photo. May it be the proper answer?

AT said...

Well done, Boleslaw! Congrats on getting this one. It is Atomic Opera.

Keir said...

Interesting! Though it is definitely the same guys, the metal-archives photo has as distinctly different feel. They look more like a Midwest flash metal band than the doomy NWOBHM look of the above photo. Glad to finally know who this is, though I had never heard of Atomic Opera before (wonder if they were any good?)

AT said...

Check out the link I provided to Ian's Bazillion Points site. He had previously posted their demo. As I recall it was OK, not great.