Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fists of Metal!


I thought this post deserved a Manowar-esque title. I mean, forget the Invisible Orange, a clenched fist (shall we call it this gesture the Gerbil Squeeze?) suggests you're about to get a good pummeling—metaphorically speaking, of course. In this case, by two shirtless men. Savage!

This is another photo where I know the band's ID, and I think this may be an easy one. What's not so easy is having to stare at the dude on the right with the fish-belly-white chest. Dude in the middle is no picnic (though extra points for the natural 'fro!), but the metal platelets strapped across his chest at least give him some semblance of metalosity (yeah, that's a made-up word). Fish Belly just looks like he wanted to take off his shirt and join the fun—maybe do some man-hugging with his bro in the middle after the shoot was finished. I don't friggin' know.

I'll be sorely disappointed if this takes more than 24 hours to get, considering the total dearth of black dudes in metal bands in the '80s. And anyone who does know this band, I must insist that you share any and all info about them, and provide a full admision of how many of their albums you own (which I know will be tough to admit publicly...).

Update: Though he's apparently too shy to fess up to the full extent of his knowledge of this band, "Boleslaw" did manage to correctly ID them about 30 minutes after I posted the photo. It is, in fact, Mass from Germany. These dudes started up in the '70s but released most of their albums in the early '80s, including the gem below, Kick Your Ass, which I'm proud to say I own. According to Rockdetector, they actually toured with Celtic Frost in 1985. Now that would have been something to see.

7 comments:

Boleslaw said...

That must be the German Mass!!!

AT said...

Bravo. Now, per my request, you will divulge how you know this, what you know about the band and how many of their albums you own.

Helm said...

(shall we call it this posture the Gerbil Squeeze?)

haha yes, why not!

I love how happy this band looks to be playing HM.

Boleslaw said...

Well, I only own one LP of theirs and it is "War Law". Quite average in my view, only the title track is an outstanding heavy metal anthem. None the less, it will stay forevermore in my collection, mainly because of the amazing cover (I am a weirdo, am I not?).

AT said...

No weirder than the rest of us here. And it least you haven't kept their album "Kick Your Ass" in your collection for the last 20+ years (yes, because of the art...it's so amazingly bad).

Invisible Oranges said...

By "amazingly bad," you mean "amazingly good."

AT said...

Oops, typo. Yeah, best album cover ever. The decision to write "Kick Your Ass!" on an actual woman's ass is pure genius.