Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Invisible Lemons?


Since this photo dates from circa 1985 this is an early representation of the Invisible Oranges hand gesture. Dude on the left, unfortunately, looks like he's holding a couple of invisible lemons. He also seems to be wearing some hockey gear--hilariously utilized around the same time by Raven. Guess it helps do the killer knee slides when you're busting out a solo or something. It also vaguely looks like armor.

As for the rest of the crew...where to begin. Eye makeup? Really, dude? The outfit says, James Hetfield, but the eye makeup kind of looks like Slayer circa 1983. Even they figured out that was a bad idea pretty quickly.

Multi-zippered PVC pants? They immediately bring Michael Jackson circa "Thriller" to my mind, but maybe Judas Priest were rockin' this kind of gear back then in the Turbo days. They are unfortunate, either way

Anyway, there's much to be amused by here (not the least of which is the fact that this was shot at a professional photo studio, you know like where people get family portraits done and such). I know who this band is and I'm curious to see who else can figure it out from this excellent photo.

Update: Once again I must congratulate Mr. Sound of the Beast (soon to be translated into Urdu) himself, Ian Christe, for coming through with the answer: Attila. Though there have been other bands with this moniker (including--I shit you not--a "party death metal" band from Georgia), these guys were the original. Formed in the early '80s in NYC, they contributed to a couple of comps, including Speed Metal Hell, and released one album on Shattered Records, Rolling Thunder, in 1986.

9 comments:

Invisible Oranges said...

No clue who it is. But the multi-zippered pants are sort of cool in a "Tron" or "Running Man" kind of way.

Helm said...

No idea, but really entertaining photo/writeup.

Ian Christe said...

I...think...based on the harnessed and buckled-down outrageousness on display here...that we're looking at the smoothest picture of Attila ever taken. These guys billed themselves as "urban commandos."

AT said...

You, sir, are the man. Thanks for stopping by. Come again.

Ian Christe said...

This is not easy -- which makes it fun as hell. I can't believe your stash, I'm utterly in awe. I hope you open the vaults when Bob Plante comes calling in the course of compiling his insane book documenting every single 1980s metal demo.

After I nail ten or so of these photos, I'm going to demand a copy of the zine that generated such hellacious mail!

AT said...

Glad to hear you've been enjoying it. Actually my zines were far less impressive than this blog. I put out a total of three issues (2 of Heavy Heroes and 1 of West Coast Thrash) and I probably only have extra copies of WCT. Unless I find a stash, I think I only have 1 copy each of HH. I'll happily send you a WCT, though. You've earned it.

CarlosRamirez said...

Actually, the first Attila was a band that featured Billy Joel in the early 70's.

AT said...

I stand corrected. This Attila was the first *metal* band to sport this moniker.

ROXYMUZAK said...

That eyeliner application is making me nauseous!!!!