Monday, February 2, 2009

The Beginning Of The End


Now I'm not going to suggest that the above pictured band was somehow responsible for how ridiculous metal got once it hit the mainstream in the mid '80s, but they are definitely representative of the glut of bands that were suddenly signed and foisted onto the world based on nothing more than their hometown and hairstyles.

It's a pro-shot promo and the dudes look like they're well-groomed (i.e. there was probably a stylist involved), so we can surmise that there was some money backing them. But if you ever had the pleasure of listening to the accompanying record, you'd know why this quartet has been long forgotten.

Though I'm picking on these dudes, the unfortunate thing is that they were just one of many utterly forgettable second, third and fourth generation craphounds (anyone remember Cats in Boots, Vain, Child's Play, Dirty Looks, Banshee, D'Molls, Roxx Gang, etc., etc.? Could you tell one from another if I posted pictures of them?) that besmirched metal's good name during its first real taste of mega popularity. On the plus side, these kinds of bands were probably largely responsible for sending "real" metal back underground and fueling the rise of the extreme era.

Anyone have any thoughts on who this band is?

Update: Congrats to Keir for his correct guess of Shire. Yeah, where are they today? Where were they a year after their debut EP came out on Enigma, for that matter? Nowheresville, population 1. I really have no other information other than the fact that their record came out during a very fertile time in the LA metal scene and they were just another face in the crowd. I probably still have this record and I probably only listened to it once before deciding it was pretty generic. I guess the singer went on to front the equally obscure Attakk, but that's all I know. Keir, if you have more info, feel free to post it in the comments section and I'll add it here.

7 comments:

CarlosRamirez said...

I don't appreciate the Banshee diss! They were actually a great band in the vein of Icon. Interesting tidbit on Banshee: James from Arsis LOVES them!

Keir said...

I agree, Banshee is a great band.

Could this be Blitzkrieg from California?

Adem Tepedelen said...

Nope, not Blitzkrieg, but thanks for actually guessing something. I was worried that I'd alienated the entirety of metal fandom with my Banshee bashing.

Keir said...

Well, I was in the right neighborhood. This is Shire from L.A.

AT said...

Yep, that's correct: Shire. Ever listened to them? Utterly forgettable.

Keir said...

I’ve actually never heard them, I just happened to see the album on eBay and this picture was on the back cover

You should post an update that says which bands have still not been identified so pictures like these don’t go forgotten.

AT said...

Good idea. I'll get that going soon.