Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"OK, Now Tilt Your Head To The Right...A Little More..."

This unfortunate-looking trio all have a tilt to their heads like an expectant dog waiting for a treat. Maybe the photographer was dangling some Snausages to get them to pay attention to him while he was snapping away.

Now, because two of these dudes seem to be of Asian descent, I'm gonna give the guy on the right a pass on the official Heavy Metal Crime of sporting a T-shirt with the Japanese Rising Sun and Kanji characters (a torn up one, no less). Don't know that I can be so forgiving of his counterpart on the left who seems to have both a bandana and a studded leather choker around his neck. Eesh.

The guy in the middle looks all the whiter and out of place sandwiched between these two. In fact, he kinda looks like a Kelly Johnson (R.I.P.) of Girlschool doppelganger. For which I feel some pity in pointing out. Sorry, guy.

I know who this band is and, uh, let's just say that given plenty of opportunities to make a mark in the metal world, they were mostly unsuccessful. They did leave behind some excellent promo photos, however, which I'll be happy to share once we get an ID on 'em. (And Ian is banned from commenting on this post [at least until it's revealed], due to his corroboration on it.)

Update: Yes, indeed, this is Canadian band Sye. Alcolm X correctly ID'd them. Finally. I thought that they looked so unique that someone would have gotten this right off the bat. Sye released two albums, Turn on the Fire (on Metal Blade, 1985), and Wings of Change (on Loudspell, 1988), but were never able to turn the corner. Some have lauded their second album, but their first was pretty universally panned. Here's a bonus picture provided by Ian Christe with an obviously different lineup around guitarist/vocalist Bernie Carlos.


10 comments:

Ian Christe said...

Really, a free pass? But they look polynesian, and if so were probably harassed by the Japanese more than anyone, and just not in a fashion sense!

I say only Sigh gets a free pass for kamikaze wear, and these guys aren't Sigh. Though I understand the confusion...

AT said...

Well, here's my thinking on that. I didn't want to presume I knew what ethnicity they were, so I figured that if they were wearing a rising sun shirt--whatever their background--they're cool w/the Japanese (or are Japanese).

Keir said...

I was thinking they were Hawaiian, but after quickly ruling out all metal possibilities there, I figured they must be from California. In which case, I’ve no chance at guessing.

AT said...

They are not Californian. Far, far from it.

Aesop said...

Middle guy has a vaguely early Tom G look.

Alcolm X said...

I'm thinking this might be the Canuck band SYE... not to be confused with SIGH.

AT said...

Correct! It's Sye.

Ian Christe said...

Aha, my hint time bomb finally exploded!

Anonymous said...

fucking idiots, thats sye with bernie carlos. listen to the solos and tight rhythm sections of the songs. they were signed to metal blade records before fellow/rival band anvil and many others in the toronto metal scene early 80's.

what did you douchebags look like in 84? midgetheads.

tunedin63 said...

That's Bernie Carlos on right, guitar/vox, on left is Jun (junior)on bass. I met the guy in the middle don't recall his name. Probably one of their promo shots when doing clubs and bars Early 80s. I remember going to some of the rehearsals, Bernie's brother was a friend of mine back in the day. I'm sure the name of the trip was " Sye, pretty solid band from what I do remember.. Their Phillipino by the way.