Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Random '80s Band Photo Generator


Guess I kind of skipped a week there. Gotta be honest and say that the lack of response/interest was probably a contributing factor. Maybe the shine's faded from this particular endeavor. And I don't know if this post is gonna change things.

But, wait, do I see a pair of suspenders? You've got to be kidding me. Actually, make that two pairs of suspenders. And a bolo tie, dude? Isn't the Native American choker-thing enough neck adornment?

Closer examination of this photo leads me to believe that these guys didn't really go into this photo shoot (or perhaps their entire image) with a "plan." They just picked a little bit from here and there—Freddy Krueger shirt, skull shirt, weird dangly lapel pins, snakeskin shirt—and threw it at the wall, so to speak, to see what would stick.

Anyone still paying attention, I welcome your thoughts on this mess.

Update: Finally, "Jymbo" managed to ID these guys as Banshee, from Kansas City. I put this up because several Test Your Metal readers bristled at the fact that I lumped this band in with the other faceless and unremarkable major label signings of the late '80s. The funny thing is, that the people who jumped to Banshee's defense couldn't actually identify a picture of them. Since they were on a major label (and Metal Blade before that), they certainly aren't obscure and I won't bother getting into the details of their career. They have their own website for that.

15 comments:

Invisible Oranges said...

This is like my high school amped up to 11. Probably at least one of the dudes is wearing pegged pants.

CarlosRamirez said...

I know I know this one! Let me think about it. And please DO NOT stop doing these! I think the lack of comments is that people didn't know the last few so they just didn't respond. But I think this is a great idea and metal nerds like myself love it.

So far, I've won one but they are definitely tough.

AT said...

Yep, this is a tough one. I fully expected most people who visited the site be stumped by these, but I was hoping they could at least make a snarky comment (see Invisible Orange's effort above) or even just a random guess. So, c'mon, throw out a name. Go with your gut.

ROXYMUZAK said...

I subscribe to you with Google Reader, bro, you brighten my work week, never give ^

ROXYMUZAK said...

ok my word verification for the above post was "duder"

Keir said...

I am still reading this blog, and enjoying every post. The main reason I haven’t left any comments recently is that the last few have really stumped me, but in the future I’ll try to leave a comment whether I know the band or not.

BTW, if you look closely at the tallest guy’s waist I think you’ll find that there are in fact THREE pairs of suspenders in this photo! Unbelievable.

AT said...

I think you're right. It's just so hard to see anything through all the clutter this band has plastered itself with.

Anonymous said...

Is this XYZ?

AT said...

Nope, not XYZ. But I appreciate the fact that someone actually took a shot at this one.

Anonymous said...

Hurricane?

AT said...

Nope. But you just keep guessing away and I'll chime in if/when you're right.

Anonymous said...

This is Banshee!

Jymbo said...

So I just typed THIS IS BANSHEE as "anonymous"...

Yeah, the photo is a promo shot from '89. Tommy and those damn suspenders, ugh!

~Jymbo

Jymbo said...

Yeah, I knew this one. "We Want You" is still a great "True Metal" song, even if they did start to become watered down when the video for "Shoot Down The Night" came out on Headbanger's Ball.

I just found this site recently & Banshee was one of the only bands I knew for sure & it was still not Id'd! Glad I could get at least one!

Jymbo

AT said...

Well, keep checking back, I'll have more stuff up soon.