Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Which One of These Is Not Like The Others?


Here's a bonus for you, since I've been a little slack with the posts recently.

I just love everything about the look of this band because it is so of-an-era (and a specific scene). In doing a little extra research I discovered that this is a particularly notable shot in the history of this band. Read into that what you will, but a full explanation will be provided once someone figures this out.

And, yeah, we're continuing with the theme of shirtless men. And Japanese paraphernalia. I also need to point out the awesomeness of the laced up shirt the other up-front poodle is sporting.

Now, if only the dude in the middle had gotten the memo about the official band coiff for this session. Hello! Alex Lifeson called and wants his 1970s 'do back!

This may actually turn out to be an easy one, but I can never tell. You tell me.

Update: "Anonymous" correctly ID'd this as Savage Grace, a Metal Blade band best known for it's ultra-cheesy album covers, and not much else. I'm sure that people will chirp about how these guys "should have been bigger" and that they released some "under-appreciated proto speed metal blah blah blah," but my recollection is a little more like this: another faceless, generic Metal Massacre band. There were tons of them back in the day and these guys were no better or worse than the others, but they seemed to lack some good decision-making skills based on their album art and nonstop rotating lineup. Which brings me to what makes this picture notable in SG history. Probably no one would recognize him (and, honestly, why would you), but the second guy from the right is former Witchkiller guitarist Kurt Phillips, a Canadian who was in the band very briefly. He never recorded anything, so this may be the entirety of his Savage Grace legacy. Phillips now lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and plays in a band called Warhag. Even stranger, guitarist Christian Logue (far left) was arrested in 2005 for allegedly impersonating a doctor. I have no idea what happened with this, but it's a weird twist to the Savage Grace saga.







8 comments:

Keir said...

At first glance, the guy on the left looks like Ron Keel, so I thought this might be some incarnation of Steeler. Then I realized that ol’ Ronnie would never let himself be photographed unless he was standing front and center!

CarlosRamirez said...

SHOK PARIS?

AT said...

Nope. Not really very close, I'm afraid to say.

AT said...

Keir, you're in the right ballpark.

Anonymous said...

SAVAGE GRACE! actually some decent 80ies Power/Speed stuff wtih hilarious Album Covers...look for "Master of Disguise"...

AT said...

Correct. This is indeed Savage Grace. Nice work, Anon.

Keir said...

Ah Savage Grace! Great band (well I think so anyway!)

I had no idea they ever had a connection to Witchkiller. Interesting.

countshockula said...

dominatress?!?!?! there's already a word for that, and that's not it!