Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Smallest Metal Band In The World


Sorry that this picture is so small, but I guess it kind of fits the theme of the post. Most metal bands try to make themselves look larger than life somehow in their promo photos, but by staging this shoot in front of what I presume are giant doors, these guys end up looking like Lilliputians.

I think I would have also avoided wearing bright red shoes, leather jacket, T-shirt, etc. in front of the bright red doors. I am a big fan, however, of the leather-jacket-with-the-arms-pushed-up look. I'm kind of surprised no one ever had the idea to simply make 3/4-sleeve leathers. I mean, those stupid full-length sleeves are always getting in the way. And what is the deal with those bright red shoes?

As always, comments, guesses and conspiracy theories are welcome.

Update: OK, I screwed up and left the band's name on the photo file I uploaded, so I obviously gave it away. Didn't seem like anyone ID'd them based on how they looked. This is Portland, Oregon's own Glacier. Glacier was kind of a hard-luck band who could have been a lot bigger had a few breaks gone their way. They went through a lot of lineups in the early 80s, but hit their stride with the Mach III lineup in the mid 80s which featured vocalist Mike Podrybau, who they recorded the classic 3-song demo, "Ready For Battle" with. Small French label Axe Killer put out their only official recording, a self-titled, 5-song EP (which is incredibly hard to find) that featured the Podrybau-sung tracks from the demo, as well as two newer songs, each with a different vocalist: Keith Flax, Rex McNew. It must have been confusing to people who bought it at the time, since it pictured the four instrumentalists in the band (though it even misidentified two of them, see below) and didn't show any of the three vocalists. Glacier stayed together for a few more years and recorded another demo, this time with vocalist Tim Lachman (brother of Pat Lachman of Damageplan, Halford, etc.) who went on to sing for Gargoyle (who put out a now-highly sought after album on New Renaissance records). Apparently Glacier are quite the underground heroes in Greece and a bootleg CD called The Writer's Eye, which compiles all of the abovementioned material, was released by Greek label Hot Metal Records.

19 comments:

Aesop said...

Red leather is awesome, I wish it would come back. Anyways, I have no idea who they are but for some reason they look English.

ROXYMUZAK said...

kvte, but not very kvlt

Ian Christe said...

Got it! This church is Trinity Espicopal Cathedral in Portland, OR.

AT said...

You may well be right regarding the church. Beats me, though. But I was looking for a band name. Go ahead, if you know it. Don't be shy. I might also like to know how in the hell you recognized the church. Did you google "giant red church doors" or something?

Boleslaw said...

Attacker`s name has been haunting me since I saw that photo. But I cannot be 100% certain...

AT said...

Sorry, not Attacker. But pretty good guess.

Hiram said...

*cough*youforgottorenametheimage*cough*

AT said...

Duly noted. And changed.

RagnarR said...

Since there's a Pacific NW connection, I'm going with the Serpent's Knight featuring a young Warrel Dane. That or Crysys.

AT said...

Crysys was a three-piece, actually, but it's cool that you even know about them. And it's not Serpent's Knight, either.

At least two people who follow this blog know the right answer (even if they found out because of my error), but I guess they're not going to chime in.

Keir said...

My first thought was Leather Nunn, but they stood in front of a different set of giant doors for their band photo.

Is it Gargoyle? That would make the cathedral a fitting setting anyway.

AT said...

Gargoyle's actually a really good guess. Closer than you might think, Keir, but not correct. If that makes any sense...

Hiram said...

At least two people who follow this blog know the right answer (even if they found out because of my error), but I guess they're not going to chime in.Well then, since you're obviously itching up a storm to tell us all about Glacier... there you go ;)

Keir said...

Ah, Glacier was going to be my next guess since they shared a singer with Gargoyle (and nearly every other band in Portland, it seems).

AT said...

Yes, I have been dying to tell you all about Glacier! Thank you!

Ian Christe said...

Now what about Trinity Espicopal Cathedral?

ADEM TEPEDELEN said...

Sorry, but that I know nothing about, but I welcome anything you'd care to add about it.

Keir said...

Another one time singer for Glacier was Dave Roller from Arson (who had one track on the Pacific Metal Project compilation).

Speaking of which, I updated my blog today for the first time this year!

Anonymous said...

Went to school with a couple of those guys. You had to move to LA to get discovered back then. Ahh the old Starry night club shows....