Friday, June 19, 2009

Moustaches: Metal or Not-Metal? Discuss.

Well, this is a meaty dish, isn't it? Lots to dig into here. Not the least of which are the fuzzy caterpillars crawling across two of these dudes' upper lips. I know that in certain circles of metal copious amounts of facial hair are now OK, but the hirsute look was not a popular one in the '80s. And the wispy, my-first-whiskers moustaches this pair is sporting aren't doing them any favors.

In general, the hair in this photo is not good, nor very metal. Only one dude is truly representin'. The others seem like they're trying—maybe they're new to the game—but it's overall a weak effort. And is the guy on the right wearing a skinny tie (or is it a cravat, or jaunty scarf?)? Very puzzling.

The inclusion of two axes in the photo would lead us to believe that guy on far left was the bassist, while cravat guy on the right was the guitarist. The fingerless leather gloves the other two are sporting would lead us to assume that one of them was the drummer. Let's hope the person fronting this band was the one with the long hair.

This photo may look somewhat familiar due to the fact that I posted another picture of this band way back on Election Day. It's one of a handful of bands on the site that remain unidentified. And since Keir suggested I repost some of them, this will be my first effort in that endeavor.

UPDATE: Well, it took a long-ass time, but Keir finally figured out that this is Siren. As he said, he was a huge fan, but he had no idea what they looked like, which I think is probably not uncommon. They were something of a cult power metal band of the mid '80s. I used to correspond with vocalist Doug "Dead" Lee, who was a helluva nice guy, so I do feel a little bad poking fun at this. It's all in good fun, Doug, I swear! Anyway, Doug ended up in German band Mekong Delta from 1990-1997, but I don't think the other guys went on to do much beyond the two albums they released on indie labels.

13 comments:

Keir said...

Wow, judging from this picture I would not have guessed they were American though the first one you posted says they are (either that or they have a serious identity crisis). Will have to think about this one.

ROXYMUZAK said...

Would have guessed Canadian, tbh.

Alcolm X said...

I listen to Moustache Metal almost exclusively, but unfortunately that isn't helping me peg this band. They look German, but the flag would indicate otherwise.

Keir said...

I'm not sure the moustaches are bushy enough for German. I would've guessed Belgian or maybe Danish if I didn't know otherwise. Anyway, I'm at a loss on this one.

AT said...

Let it be noted that the person who writes this blog doesn't necessarily share the opinions of the people who post comments, particularly when it comes to questioning Belgian and Danish men's ability to grow "bushy" facial hair. Thank you.

Boleslaw said...

Today I dsicovered that these fellows are quite similar to an obscure Danish band Wasted (even if that was a five-piece). So the flag makes me even more confused now...

countshockula said...

Extra points for rocking an aluminum necked Kramer V bass!

Metal Mark said...

I know they are German and the flag seems to indicate that this band would not be, but I will guess Mad Max just because I know some of them had moustaches early on.

AT said...

Nope, not German, I swear. So, it's not Mad Max.

Keir said...

I can't believe this is SIREN! I adore that band, but had no idea what they looked like until now. And I must say, it is not at all what I expected.

The people who thought they looked German weren't too far off actually, since they recorded their second album in Germany, and then singer Doug Lee joined the German band Mekong Delta.

AT said...

Nicely done. How'd you figure it out? BTW, this is a very early photo of the band.

Keir said...

I was browsing eBay and came across an auction for this very photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIREN-Rare-1984-Promo-Photo-Progressive-Metal-/390187446366?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5ad8fbf05e

AT said...

Damn! I actually have a bunch of those. I gotta keep my eye on that auction.