Saturday, June 20, 2009

REPOST: Spot The '80s Wardrobe Essentials

This was originally posted in late 2008. It's one of a handful of bands that remain unidentified.

Let's start off by ticking off the checklist of essential "metal" accoutrements we can spot in this picture:

• Torn T-shirt (shredded to look like fringe). Check.
• Fingerless gloves. Check.
• Scarf tied around head. Check.
• Bandana around neck. Check.

I'm sure there are more that we just can't see.

A couple of other things bother me about this picture, though. First, why does the guy on the right look so scared of his bandmate's armpit hair? And second, why is blondie grabbing his bandmate's hair from behind and smiling so broadly?

My guess is that these guys are European and probably had an album or two out on some long-gone French label. Anyone?

2008 update: I "accidentally" discovered what band this is, and I will be stunned if anyone else gets it. Suffice to say, my guess (above) was right on the money. Good luck!

July 2009 update: Congrats to Alcolm X for figuring this one out. It is zee French band called Stators. My guess is that Alcolm X went to the Metal Archives and just cl
icked through all the French bands (yes, you can sort by country over there), until he spotted a very similar photo of the band. Which is fine. Doesn't matter to me what your methodology is. As for info about Stators, there's little out there. I still own their one and only album—...Never Too Late (1985, Axe Killer)—but it's been 20+ years since I've heard it. You can check out part of a track for yourself here. Not terrible, vaguely NWOBHM-ish. Mystery solved.



12 comments:

Boleslaw said...

I wonder if the band is Legend from France (about which I have actually asked in the comments to the original post).

AT said...

Sorry I never responded to that. I'm afraid that it's not Legend.

Keir said...

Argh, this one is driving me crazy because even with all the information we have I still can’t figure it out. We know that it’s a French band from the 80s with 5 members who “put out an album on a well-known (at the time) indie label, but they never really went anywhere”. We also know that it isn’t Sortil├Ęge, Satan Jokers, Attentat Rock, Nightmare, Demon Eyes or Legend. Someone asked if it was Fisc, and though Adam never answered it doesn’t look like them. These guys also look way too nice to be H-Bomb. Argh! Could it be Steel Angel?

AT said...

No, no, no, no, no, no, no and no. None of the above. Better consult someone in France for this one.

Alcolm X said...

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and guess TRUST.

AT said...

I should have carried up the comments from the original post because I mentioned there that this isn't Trust.

Alcolm X said...

H-BOMB perhaps?

AT said...

Nope. Think VERY obscure. And you can always check out a photo of the band that you're guessing at www.metal-archives.com to see if it looks anything like the band I've posted. H-Bomb, though they are a five-piece from France, basically look nothing like these dudes.

Alcolm X said...

This was really starting to frustrate me! Thankfully I can surf the internet for hours on end at work. STATORS... never heard of 'em.

AT said...

First, nice work on finally getting this one. Second, is your work hiring?

Alcolm X said...

I employed a one-two punch of The Corroseum and Metal Archives. Saw the Axe Killer page at The Corroseum and went from there... I was obsessed with figuring out who these guys were! And you're right, the other photo is very similar - no mistaking 'em that's for sure.

AT said...

Dude, use your skills (and ample free time) to solve some of the other ones that are still up for grabs. Like the one below this (the moustache dudes).