Friday, July 3, 2009

Don't Touch the Hair, Dude


The most notable thing about this rather dull promo photo is the fact that all of these dudes have very immaculately coiffed 'dos. Which actually may help date them. I mean, no one looked like this in '82 or '83. Sure, bands had long hair, but it didn't look like this.

I think there may have been a curling iron involved here. Seriously. There was definitely a lot of styling mousse and/or Aqua-Net involved. I wonder if they all crowded around the same mirror spraying and fluffing up their long locks, maybe comparing styling techniques for getting those shorter bits on top to stand up nice and big.

Yeesh.

Anyway, have a happy Independence Day. Here's hoping (at least in America) you'll be drinking a cold beer (or three) and remembering this important piece of advice: Light the fuse and RUN!

Update: Congrats once again to Ian Christe for IDing this band as Mystic Force from Baltimore. They are apparently back together and recording. I don't know much about them, but they seem to be the kind of power metal/thrash combo that was pretty common in the late '80s. I think I might have had one of their demos. I presume Mr. Christe did, too, and probably has a copy of this same photo.

9 comments:

ROXYMUZAK said...

In my expert opinion, I'd say middle bro(w) definitely availed himself of a curling iron and hairspray in the development of his look. The other guys look like simple scrunch jobs + mousse. And yeah, I have no idea who these people are.

AT said...

I knew it!

Chris said...

I remember a Dark Angel promo shot back in the late 80's that looked a lot like this.

AT said...

Sorry, not Dark Angel. And somewhere Don Doty is furious with indignation. (Even though he probably knows it's true...)

Ian Christe said...

Hmm...East Coast haircuts...well-scrubbed leathers...a whiff of progressive metal...

Mystic Force.

AT said...

Not even gonna ask how you knew that, I'll just say good job.

Ironskulls (Chet) said...

Mystic Force! I used to go see these guys play at Maxwells, a club in Parkville (Balto). The were killer then. When most folks were going to see Kix, i was going to see this band. A bit ahead of their time back than, as they have a very prog type sound. They finally got signed in the very late 80's and put out a new album a few years ago called Man VS Machine. It's like a cross between Queensryche and Dream Theatre but a bit heavier. IMO, an under rated band.
a band called Apollo Ra used to open for them, don't think they ever got signed.

Keir said...

Hey Chet, nice to see you here! I'm very jealous that you used to see Mystic Force live, but maybe even more jealous that you saw Apolla Ra! They never did get signed, but OPM Records released their demo on vinyl a while back (it was later bootlegged to CD by Unisound, I think).

Metal Mark said...

I actually knew this one because I live in Maryland and this looks like a shot I saw one of the fliers back in the day.