Tuesday, July 21, 2009

REPOST: These Boots Are Made For Rockin'


This was originally posted in late 2008. It's one of a handful of bands that remain unidentified. Please check out the comments in the original post before guessing. And, no, this isn't Rail.

This one should be a slam dunk. I put this up not so much because I think it will be particularly difficult to figure out, but more as an example of what bands in the early ’80s thought a metal promo photo should look like. I mean, c'mon!

To be fair, though, the entire scene was considerably less sophisticated then. Dudes in a small town with limited access to magazines and fanzines (or other local bands to look up to or emulate) only had a vague idea of what a metal band should look like so they just kind of filled in the blanks with whatever seemed kinda bad ass.

And sometimes that meant putting on giant fuzzy boots.

Update: This obviously didn't turn out to be as easy as I thought it would be, but Keir, after a little sleuth work finally figured out that this is Prophet, a rather short-lived band from California, who had a track on the very first New Renaissance release, Metal Madness. The dude wearing the boots is the dimunitive Jayme Minson, who later formed Arsin, while his ex-bandmates formed Synbad, neither of which did anything to speak of. We do wonder what happened to those boots, though...

10 comments:

Boleslaw said...

Is this sabre any clue? Or maybe the grim reapered t-shirt is?

AT said...

Not really. They are just props basically. You know, so the band will look more metal.

Alcolm X said...

Just came across a mention of the the NY (or NJ) band TEAZER... apparently one of the dudes was in the habit of wearing fuzzy boots. Could these be the same fuzzy boots?

AT said...

Nope. Not Teazer.

Keir said...

Is this Arsin from California?

AT said...

You're on the right track...

Keir said...

It's funny, I was looking for information on Prophet and that's how I came across the picture of Arsin with Mr. Fuzzy Boots himself. As soon as I got home I pulled out my Metal Madness LP and sure enough this is Prophet. The picture of them on the sleeve is from this same photo shoot, but Mr. Fuz.. excuse me, Jayme Minson actually went through the trouble of changing his shirt.

AT said...

Yep, you got it, Keir. I don't know why I thought this one would be so easy. I just figured that there were so few metal dudes who wore fuzzy boots that someone would get it right away.

Jymbo said...

The band PROWLER who became TARAMIS wore furry boots too! :)

Anonymous said...

my name is, a friend of jaymes ,from modesto.ive known him for 20 years,hasn't changed much,still rockin.his new band is WATCHER!!!