Saturday, August 29, 2009

REPOST: A Chest As Smooth As A Baby's Bottom


Someone couldn't be bothered to button their shirt, or put on a T-shirt for this photo shoot. So feast your eyes on the oh-so-appealing glimpse of his pre-pubescent teenage boy-looking chest. Classy. Come and get it, ladies.

Doubtful he's looking as svelte these days, as this photo is at least 20+ years old and he may well have packed on a few pounds and successfully navigated the perils of puberty. Based on how freakin' obscure this band is (though they did manage to release a very hard to find album), we may never know.

The rest of the band aren't really that bad. The mirrored aviator shades are pretty sweet (pre-Axl Rose, of course) and, if nothing else, they managed to clearly establish a basic heavy metal look. No one was gonna mistake them for, say, Loverboy. OK, maybe Loverboy, but not Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Update: Keir has correctly identified these guys as Shining Blade from Italy. I absolutely loved their demo I received back in the mid '80s. One of the songs on that, " Winged Snake," ended up on the first Speed Metal Hell album (though I'd hesitate to call SB speed metal), which is where Keir spotted them. Apparently there was some sort of bootleg or quasi-legit release by these guys that came out a little later, Touch the Night, but I've never actually seen it or confirmed that it exists. I still have that demo, though. It's very NWOBHM-ish, but very technical and proggy (kind of a precursor to DragonForce, in a weird sort of way). I was always surprised that they didn't make a bigger impact, but so it goes.

3 comments:

Brocas Crelm said...

I knew these guys were Italian just by looking at them. Something about the hairless, exposed chest and baby fat, maybe, it was just the look in Italiy back then. Their demo is really good, the later stuff get overproduced and tacky, which seems to be pretty common for 80s metal bands from Italy.

Metal Mark said...

I remember hearing Winged Snake on Speed Metal Hell nad liking it. My cassette didn't have any pictures though.

AT said...

My cassette didn't have a picture either. They sent me the above promo photo with the demo, so I could write about them in my zine.