Monday, August 24, 2009

REPOST: I Swear This Band Is From The '80s


I love this photo and, yeah, I know what band this is. I will be suitably impressed if anyone else gets this, because this is waaaay underground.

But look at that photo! It could have been taken in 1975! The facial hair, the leather jacket, the...everything! It's glorious how unintentionally retro this band looked. Once someone figures out their ID, I'll give you the full explanation as to why they look like this.

In the meantime, bask in the gloriousness of this photo and toss out a few guesses as to who it might be. (And, no, it's not Black Sabbath circa the Ian Gillan era, despite the obvious similarities...).

Update: I reposted this because "Anonymous" finally figured out who it is and I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle. This is, in fact, Lazarus Sin from Eugene, OR (hence the hippie-ish attire and overall image). Their self-issued debut, Intracranial Mass, which came out in 1988, is a cult progressive/thrash/power metal classic. It's even been reissued by the band, due to its underground notoriety and can be found here. I was living in Eugene when these guys were active and though they played shows, the Eugene scene didn't offer a lot of support. They were unjustly overlooked at the time and it's only in the last 20 years that people around the world have discovered what a solid band they were. I think at one point they changed their name to Lazarus and released a second album, but the debut (and get a load of that that cover below!) is the one to own.


And one more bonus pic from the same session as above.

2 comments:

Ian Christe said...

Damn, I guess I will buy a Wii now, because my leisure time joy spent searching for the identity of this band is now killed. Whew!

Keir said...

Finally! It's funny how much different (and better) this photo is compared to the one on Metal-Archives.