Monday, December 14, 2009

REPOST: Random '80s Band Photo Generator


REPOST UPDATE: This was originally posted in February, but since "Jymbo" just ID'd them, I figured I'd repost it.

Guess I kind of skipped a week there. Gotta be honest and say that the lack of response/interest was probably a contributing factor. Maybe the shine's faded from this particular endeavor. And I don't know if this post is gonna change things.

But, wait, do I see a pair of suspenders? You've got to be kidding me. Actually, make that two pairs of suspenders. And a bolo tie, dude? Isn't the Native American choker-thing enough neck adornment?

Closer examination of this photo leads me to believe that these guys didn't really go into this photo shoot (or perhaps their entire image) with a "plan." They just picked a little bit from here and there—Freddy Krueger shirt, skull shirt, weird dangly lapel pins, snakeskin shirt—and threw it at the wall, so to speak, to see what would stick.

Anyone still paying attention, I welcome your thoughts on this mess.

Update: Finally, "Jymbo" managed to ID these guys as Banshee, from Kansas City. I put this up because several Test Your Metal readers bristled at the fact that I lumped this band in with the other faceless and unremarkable major label signings of the late '80s. The funny thing is, that the people who jumped to Banshee's defense couldn't actually identify a picture of them. Since they were on a major label (and Metal Blade before that), they certainly aren't obscure and I won't bother getting into the details of their career. They have their own website for that.

4 comments:

Keir said...

Wow, Banshee! haha I can't believe I didn't catch that.

demolishmag said...

yeah BANSHEE had some decent recordings, so I wouldn't write them completely off, but I agree that photo is pretty damn funny!

*even better is the fact that some of the BANSHEE "flag-flyers" could not even identify them! classic...

no wonder grunge ran over us like a howling banshee!

Curt King
Demolish Gatekeeper

AT said...

Yeah, isn't that funny? It totally proved my point about how all the major label bands in the late '80s started to look exactly the same.

Jymbo said...

This is STILL the only one I didn't get beat to (even though I knew a few)! I could help submit some if ya like :)