Tuesday, September 7, 2010

That's A Mirror, Not Identical Twins

Sorry about the quality of this photo. It was, how shall we say, scavenged. I wish I had the original, as it's quite a dandy.

This was not, as far as I know, an actual official promo photo. However, it's a pretty sweet representation of the the various affectations necessary for a heavy metal band group shot.

First, we've gotta have the metal-approved wardrobe. Check. Well, except for the big fella on the left sporting the short-sleeve collared shirt. I've looked it up in the official How to Dress Heavy Metal reference book and this is not up to code. Sorry, dude.

However, this faux pas can be forgiven in light of the magnificent mane he's sporting. Totally metal all the way. Dude gets a free pass for that alone and could probably get away with wearing parachute pants with hair like that (though it's no doubt a perm, minus points).

Of course there's the token bottle blonde in the middle playing peek-a-boo, and the guy on the far right (who looks like he has a twin in the mirror) has some nice pout-n-pose action goin' on.

Who are they?

UPDATE: Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, "Anonymous" correctly identified this band as Monolith from Oregon. More specifically, they were from the Eugene/Springfield area and this photo was actually taken at the Record Garden, one of the coolest West Coast metal stores. I don't think Monolith ever released anything official, but I imagine they probably had a demo floating around. I seem to recall hearing them on "Commander" Al Scott's metal show on KZEL one time, but maybe I'm wrong.

9 comments:

jojo said...

definteley german

jojo said...

An early Pink Cream 69?

AT said...

Nope, not Pink Cream 69.

Jymbo said...

The curly haried guy is a dead ringer for Geoff Thorpe from Vicious Rumors, which had a bottle blonde (Larry Howe) but the other guys aren't familiar... I don't think it's VR.

AT said...

I can see the resemblance, but nope it's not VR.

Anonymous said...

this is Monolith from Oregon

AT said...

Correct! It's Monolith from Eugene (or Springfield?), Oregon. Very impressive.

Keir said...

Wow, I never would have got this one. While I was't as certain as jojo that they were German, I hadn’t even considered a non-European band!

Did you know there are 8 US bands named Monolith listed on metal-archives, and this is isn't one of them?

AT said...

Yep, this was some homegrown NW talent, though they probably were inspired by some of the Euro bands of the day. Frankly I'm shocked that anyone recognized them. I think these guys are back together and playing covers in the Eugene/Springfield area.